Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The busiest yet

With a mix of both prep and college sports, two homecomings and two long days in last Friday and Saturday, last week was by far my busiest of the fall sports season.

To start off the coverage Tuesday I saw Bottineau's volleyball team down Newburg-Westhope in Bottineau. Wednesday I covered my first Ladyjacks volleyball game, as they won their home opener.

Thursday I had a night off from coverage, but spent it stinking it up on my first night of league bowling. My average in Albany last season was 193, but in Bottineau I bowled games of 146, 144 and 142 for a 432 series, getting used to the alleys here might be a challenge.

Friday was Westhope-Newburg-Glenburn football's homecoming game approx. 30 miles west of Bottineau in Westhope. I saw the Sioux blowout the opponent Parshall-White Shield Braves 49-8 to win their third straight.

Saturday was another long day as all morning I attended the Newburg volleyball tournament. I witnessed two Newburg-Westhope wins in pool play, but had to leave early to make it back for the 2 p.m. DCB homecoming football game.
*side note- I found out that in this area, a sloppy joe is sometimes referred to as a slushburger. Strange.

The DCB homecoming football game was disappointing to say the least. They led the whole way, until late in the fourth quarter, when their defense broke down allowing Trinity Bible College to beat them 18-14. The DCB offense is still essentially without a quarterback, as again their passing attack was non-existent.

This week I have three volleyball matches to attend, I may skip the last one to go bowling though, I haven't decided. I also may travel back home to Central Minn. this weekend as all three football teams here are away. If I do so, I likely will attend the SJU homecoming game.

I appologize that this is such a long post and there are also going to be oodles of photos too, but the last thing is that I once again did poorly in my NFL picks this week going 8-8. I did pick the upset of Seattle over Washington, however.

Sioux freshmen quarterback Hunter Braaten runs in a first half two-point conversion last Friday.

Sioux senior Brandon Brodehl breaks a Braves tackle last Friday in Westhope. It was WNG's homecoming game.

Sioux sophomore Karlie Hancock tackles a Parshall-Whiteshield ball carrier.

Hancock here carries the ball past sprawling Braves defenders.

The referee kind of got in the way here, and I'm not sure who is doing the leaping, but he's hurdling a Braves defender.

Eagles Senior Hailee Sivertson attempts to spike one past the Stars' Whitney Page last Tuesday in Bottineau.

BHS junior Nora Ulrich serves last Tuesday in Bottineau.

DCB southpaw hitter Kate Helgeson slams home one of 18 kills last Wednesday in Bottineau.

DCB sophomore setter Allison Scherr blocks a TBC Lions shot last Wednesday.

Ladyjack hitter Kelsey Gullett gets a dig in last Wednesday's win over Trinity Bible College.

Scherr here hits a shot over to the TBC side.

 
Helgeson again winds up for a kill last Wednesday in a homecoming week win over TBC.

A member of the crowd, presumably of the hockey team tries to get the crowd going last Wednesday.

Everybody was Kung-Foo Fighting.


Look Ma, I'm flying!

DCB's Keith Osgood gets whacked, a penalty was called and for good reason, ouch.

The Trinity Bible College defense awaits the play call from the sidelines.

DCB's Dylan Ironheart (left) and Eliezer Oviedo (right) tackle TCB's Seth Peterson on a punt return last Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment